Part Used & Method for Pharmaceutical Preparations:
The seeds, gathered in the summer or autumn when they are ripe, are dry-fried or fried with salt water.
Properties and Taste:
Sweet and cold
Kidney, liver and lung
To promote water metabolism and relieve abnormal urination To stop diarrhea; To clear heat in the liver and brighten eyes To clear the lung and resolve phlegm
Indications and Combinations:
1. Damp-heat flowing into the urinary bladder manifested as dysuria, painful urination, frequent urination and distending and full sensation in the lower abdominal region. *Use with Clematis stem (Mutong), Capejasmine (Zhizi) and Talc (Huashi) in the formula Bazheng San.
2. Damp-heat diarrhea. *Use with Poria (Fuling), White atractylodes (Baizhu) and Alismatis rhizome (Zexie).
3. Heat in the liver manifested as red, painful and swollen eyes. *Use with Chrysanthemum flower (Juhua), Chinese gentian (Longdancao) and Scutellaria root (Huangqin).
4. Deficiency of yin in the liver and kidney manifested as blurred vision and cataracts. *Use with Fresh rehmannia root (Shengdihuang), Ophiopogon root (Maidong) and Wolfberry fruit (Gouqizi).
5. Cough with profuse sputum due to heat in the lungs. *Use with Trichosanthes fruit (Gualou), Scutellaria root (Huangqin) and Tendrilled fritillary bulb (Chuanbeimu).
This herb should be wrapped in cloth for decoctions if a strainer is not used.